Wednesday, September 16, 2015

A Girl and her Hen

I've been experimenting a bit just lately with cloth-covered paperclay birds. This is the same technique I use to make many of my dolls' heads and in this case, for the hen, I used a woven cotton fabric that was fairly open, to give an almost canvas-like texture. This is a lovely surface to paint onto.......and as you know, I love to paint! This little hen needed a human companion, so I gave her an egg-loving little girl. The girl is a 12" (30 cm) jointed cloth doll with a cloth over clay head painted with acrylics. Her wig is hand-knotted Lincoln wool and she wears a cotton dress and pinny. I knitted her cardigan using 4-ply cotton yarn and her sun-hat is crocheted from cream and blue cotton. Her sandals (which were very fiddly to make!) are leather and I had to make the buckles, because I haven't been able to source tiny metal buckles for quite a while. And she has a little basket for the eggs. Brown ones, of course!








5 comments:

Hill Top Post said...

Just totally awesome!!! Love everything about this pair! And what about those fiddly shoes!

Paper rainbow said...

I LovE your little hen!! What a great extension of your process, so inspiring.

akyol_akyol said...

Every time new ideas! You are great creator!

Susie McMahon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susie McMahon said...

Thanks for the kind comments, everyone!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...