Wednesday, March 28, 2012

How To Make An Elephant In No Time Flat!

A couple of days ago, my husband asked me whether it would be very difficult to make an elephant. "Of course not", said I..........and before I knew it I'd agreed to design and make a toy elephant for a young work colleague of his who had just had a baby girl. Designed, literally, on the back of an envelope (albeit a large one!)


I'm kind of lucky that I can visualise something and easily work out how the pattern pieces need to be in order to make what I have in mind......apparently not everyone can do this!
So, over a couple of hours last night, I had designed, cut out, sewn, stuffed and assembled this little Elly for Molly and then this morning I spent a little more time on a few baby-safe embellishments. I couldn't find any plush fabric in a good, elephanty colour, so I used this pretty mauve instead - I think it is appropriate for a baby girl.


And here's a new head I'm working on - this one has been covered with fabric already and has been sized prior to gessoing and painting. More design work on this body pattern. If you're wondering about the pencilled-in features, I often do that when I'm making a one-of-a-kind head so that I can see if I have the features balanced.




7 comments:

Jenny said...

What a cute elephant, very clever to just whip her up in no time.

susana said...

i love seeing sketching ideas, thanks for sharing these two.
the handmade baby's gift is wonderful, and mauve is my favorite color, i will include this for boys' too :)

Susie McMahon said...

Yay! I've just got my 555th follower of this humble blog....there is something very satisfying about a number like that.
Thanks, LaCruXX, for being number 555.

betty said...

Your elephant design is wonderful. The mauve fabric is just right. your talent is amazing.
betty
doll-college.blogspot,com

maddyrose said...

Love the little Ellie. The color is perfect.

M.E.W said...

You are unbelievably talented in so many ways. That is something I can't do, visualizing how pattern pieces will go together! What a lucky baby to get a creation made by you.

Melinda said...

I like the elephant, I LOVE the head, and yes, you are really lucky so be able to make patterns so easely !

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...